Search This Blog

Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Highly NSFW Review: Handsome Furs - Sound Kapital

Disclaimer: Along with the title this is your warning seeing as there is plenty of nudity in the album cover, which I usually begin my album reviews with but in this case I have at the very bottom so nobody gets fired over one of my posts. I will also mention again when I post the link to the video for their lead single "What About Us," but the video is also highly NSFW so you won't want to watch that in your cubicle either.

A few days ago I posted my top 20 for the year, so far. Handsome Furs latest treat Sound Kapital came in at 18 as I had only listened to it a couple of times. Part of the reason I don't post my reviews right when an album comes out is that I can't really judge the music until listen at least a few times. I hate reading reviews when you can tell the reviewer didn't listen to the album more than once if even all the way through and just wanted to beat a deadline. That's the worst.

Handsome Furs are made up of Montreal's own Dan Boeckner of Wolf Parade and his wife Alexei Perry. Sound Kapital is the Furs' 3rd album since signing with Sub Pop in 2006. To be completely honest, this is my first rodeo with them but I may have to check out the back catalog now. It's obvious the duo are making music the way they want to make it and that they have a great chemistry. I hear this chemistry is on full display during their epic live performances. I'll confirm this on August 26.

Sound Kapital is full of electronic beats you'd expect if Dave Sitek (of TV On The Radio) went back about 25 years and combined his flare with some 80's new wave rock. A lot of the songs lead you in different directions before realizing 4 minutes in that you're listening to the same song. You can hear what I mean on the lead single "What About Us." Furs just released the video for it this week and you can read an interesting interview with director Scott Coffey on Stereogum where he discusses tying in the video with the theme of the album art including the cover. Click HERE to check it out and you can see the highly NSFW video as well.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Sound Kapital is going to climb out of the upper teens by the end of the year but we have a long way to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment