Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

My Top 50 Albums of 2012

What a tough year....I guess they all are but this one seemed different. I almost did a top 75 because there didn't seem to be a huge different between a lot of albums from the 30s through the 70s but that was taking way too long. So I cut it down to 50.

It was also kind of a frustrating year in which the follow ups to some of my favorite albums in recent years just couldn't keep my attention enough to make this list (i.e., Beach House, Passion Pit, Avett Brothers, Sleigh Bells...).

There were others that I have enjoyed listening to a lot but couldn't find a place for them unfortunately (i.e., Imperial Teen, Good Field, Django Django, Empires, Metric, Reptar, Walk the Moon, Nick Waterhouse...).

Then there were those that I just couldn't do anything with because I have heard them too much over the last year or 2 and it hurt my brain to even type their names into the spreadsheet I was working off of (i.e., The Lumineers and Mumford & Sons). I never even listened to the new Edward Sharpe. I enjoy their live show but other than that feel I might need a couple years off from the band.

There were also some obvious omissions people will call me out on for not including (Fiona Apple), and that's because I never listened to it. Not that I have anything against her, just never really been a huge fan. Used to think she was kinda boring so I supposed that stuck with me. Again, I listen to what I want to listen to or what people send me and I post on that. Maybe it's lame on my part but I don't feel it's necessary to add negative reviews, not why I'm doing this. Some of you may jump on me even more for including the new Dave Matthews Band album. Well, it's actually really good. Best thing they've done since the 90s.

So yeah....some food (or tunes) for thought.

One more thing, as I've read through the lists that have come out a couple of things stood out and wanted to mention since I don't go into detail on these albums on my list, unless I did a post about it previously....
1) Where's the love for Grizzly Bear this year?? I read a couple that said the album lacked a "Two Weeks" or "Ready, Able" type single. I suppose I get this but I feel people may be missing the fact that the ENTIRE album is full of songs like these. If they scattered these songs across a few albums with lesser tunes, these tracks would be heralded as awesome. Don't punish the album because it's stellar from top to bottom, and more accessible as a whole than previous albums.
2) Zero love for the new Yeasayer?? Interesting. I love this album and know a ton of people that feel the same way. The way they continue to expand their sound and adapt has been entertaining, to say the least.

50) Niki & the Dove - Instinct 

49) Porcelain Raft - Strange Weekend (Post on This)

48) Twin Shadow - Confess

47) Tennis - Young & Old 

46) Two Wounded Birds - Two Wounded Birds

45) Band of Horse - Mirage Rock

44) Bloc Party - Four

43) Dave Matthews Band - Away From the World

42) Hospitality - Hospitality (Post on This)

41) Andrew Bird - Break It Yourself

40) The Shins - Port of Morrow

39) Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas

38) Fierce Creatures - Catacomb Party (Post on This)

37) Bear In Heaven - I Love You, It's Cool

36) Lower Dens - Nootropics

35) Benjamin Gibbard - Former Lives

34) Gary Clark Jr - Blak and Blu


33) Jack White - Blunderbuss

32) Sharon Van Etten - Tramp

31) Lambchop - Mr. M (Post on This)

30) Damien Jurado - Maraquopa

29) Dr. Dog - Be The Void

28) J. Nolan - The Upbringing

27) The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now

26) Purity Ring - Shrines

25) Stars - North

24) Tanlines - Mixed Emotions

23) First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar (Post on This)

22) Two Door Cinema Club - Beacon

21) The XX - Coexist

20) Grimes - Visions (Post on This)

19) Electric Guest - Mondo

18) Wild Nothing - Nocturne

17) Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

16) Michael Kiwanuka - Home Again

15) Jessie Ware - Devotion

14) Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city


13) Tame Impala - Lonerism

12) Of Monsters and Men - My Head Is An Animal

11) Chairlift - Something (Post on This)

10) Father John Misty - Fear Fun

9) Here We Go Magic - A Different Ship

8) Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams

7) Divine Fits - Divine Fits

6) Chromatics - Kill for Love

5) Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan

4) Yeasayer - Fragrant World (Post on This)

3) Frank Ocean - Channel Orange 

2) Alt-J - An Awesome Wave

1) Grizzly Bear - Shields (Post on This)




1 comment: