Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Band You Need to Know: Caveman - Coco Beware


Caveman is a 5-piece out of New York that has only been around since 2010 when a group of friends decided to get together and form a band. Their sound is comprised of chamber pop, dreamscape, and melodic harmonies. They were also just signed to Fat Possum a couple of weeks ago, which is awesome news.

My boy Pete brought them to my attention a few weeks back and was lucky enough to catch their free show at Happy Dog in Cleveland, OH last Sunday. Said although the sound in there was terrible the band was great live and got a chance to talk to a couple of them and they were good dudes. Looking forward to seeing them myself when they make it down this way.

Caveman's debut album Coco Beware was released November 15, 2011 and the tribal percussion on opening track "A Country's King of Dreams" instantly reminded me of Local Natives. On the 3rd track "My Time" this comparison was realized again but moreso with the style and vibe of the song....VERY much like Local Natives. Throughout the album the vocals and some of the vibe also reminds me of Real Estate. Anything that combines Real Estate and Local Natives is going to have staying power with me as I love both of those bands. Oh, and the song "Thankful" belongs on a Wes Anderson soundtrack. It is especially very Tenebaums-ish and possibly Rushmore-ish.

Check out the audio for "Thankful" and then the NSFW video for "Easy Water" below

Thankful:




Easy Water:

No comments:

Post a Comment